Forums » Ask a doctor for free health information

Breast Pain?

• 3 posts
    October 24, 2014 11:26:48 PM PDT
    IMPORTANT QUESTIONS

1. What is your question(s)? I am a female who isn't, nor has ever been pregnant. For some reason my boobs hurt. At first, it was just the left nipple maybe 2 1/2 weeks or so ago. It was just unusually sore then. It was gradually getting worse and then I notice there was a small lump on my left nipple. It has been gradually getting worse every day and a week ago, my right breast started hurting as well. Right now they are very sore and touching them feels even worse. They are abnormally warm and the tip of the nipples are very dry and always hard. They are also unusually dark in color. Help?

2. Age & gender, Please add or substract (1-3years if adult for privacy)? I am 19 and a female.

3. When did problem start? About 2 1/2 weeks ago

4. Have you had this before? No.

5. Is it getting better or worse? Worse every day.

6. Body Mass Index? http://bit.ly/CDCbmi. 37.8

8. Heart Rate? Slow and steady

9. Temperature? I don't know...

10. Medical conditions, both past & present? Only mental issues.

11. Medications & supplements? Lexapro, Vistaril

12. Surgeries? Not except for a root canal last year.

This post was edited by musiclovers5432 at October 25, 2014 12:43:04 AM PDT
    • 1957 posts
    October 25, 2014 12:17:50 AM PDT

Greetings M, 

Thank you for the question. 

Legal disclaimer:  we do not have a doctor-patient relationship and we cannot give specific instructions of care to you, but we can give you our best effort to find high-quality information that you can consider. If we are wrong, or you don't like what we say, feel free to leave a message and let us know how we can improve the quality of the service. In addition, we encourage other people in the community to contribute their knowledge to the questions that are asked. 

For example, if you have a rare disease, and had a rare surgery, please simply state "back surgery," and if needed we can explore that further.  If your neighbor or best friend reads this, will be they be able to identify you based on the information given? If yes, please remove the information or change it slightly. 

BAD example:  I live in Boston, Dr. Patel at MGH hospital diagnosed me with a schwannoma tumor last month, then I traveled to Tokyo and taught english for a year.  

Acceptable example: I live in the United States, I had a tumor & surgery, then I traveled abroad for work.

1. Haver you had nipple discharge?

2. Is the skin red or (more red than usual). 

3. have you tried anything for the dry skin?

4. Does anyone in your family have skin or breast conditions?

5. Do you have dry skin elsewhere on your body.

6. A differential for such conditions includes hormonal conditions as the Adrenal Glands not working sufficiently. If the hyperpigmentation is isolated to the breasts, to the areola, then it may be more likely to be a skin conditions of the breast.

7. Have you had fevers-chills, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, constipation, weight loss or gain (intentional or not), change in energy level?

8. Please take a look at this article from the Archives of Dermatology, and let me know if it seems similar to what you have. 

http://archderm.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=478525&resultClick=1

However, in another report, these women did not have pain. 

9. Can you measure the mass of the left breath in centimeters with a ruler? 

10. Is the pain sharp or dull

11. Is it constant or does it come and go?

12. On a scale of 1-10, if 10 were the worst pain, where would you state that your pain is for each breast respectively?

12. I think that you will likely need ot see a doctor about this. 

13. Take a look at the link above and please let me know if you think it is similar or differetn to your convi

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards, 

-BrettMD

------------------------------------------- 

Notes: YOU CAN SKIP

Location of the mass – Fibrocystic change and fibroadenoma are usually located in the upper outer breast quadrants. The well-circumscribed nodules of intraductal papilloma may be located under the areola or in the ducts at the breast periphery. Mammary duct ectasia and cysts of Montgomery are subareolar.

Consistency of the mass (cystic versus solid) – Mammary duct ectasia and cysts of Montgomery are cystic, whereas fibroadenoma, phyllodes tumors, fat necrosis, and malignant breast tumors are usually solid.

Size of the mass – Fibroadenomas are usually smaller than phyllodes tumors (average of 2 to 3 cm versus 7 cm) [9,27]. The size of the mass can be monitored through the menstrual cycle.

Mobility of the mass – Fibroadenomas are usually mobile, whereas malignant breast tumors are usually (but not always) fixed to the underlying tissue.

Tenderness – Tenderness may be present before the onset of menses in adolescents with fibrocystic change and fibroadenoma. Tenderness also may occur in patients with infection or trauma.

Overlying skin changes – Overlying skin changes may occur in large fibroadenomas, phyllodes tumors (the skin is shiny and stretched from rapid growth), an

Nipple discharge – Nipple discharge may occur in fibrocystic disease (nonbloody green or brown), cysts of Montgomery (clear to brown), intraductal papilloma (bloody), mammary duct ectasia (multicolored, sticky), phyllodes tumor (bloody), infection (purulent) and breast cancer (bloody).

Appearance of the nipple – The nipple may appear to be blue or to have a blue mass under it in patients with mammary duct ectasia. Nipple retraction may occur in patients with breast cancer.

Lymphadenopathy – Lymphadenopathy may be present in patients with breast infection or cancer.

Hepatosplenomegaly – Hepatosplenomegaly may be an indication of metastatic cancer.

This post was edited by DrSocial Admin at March 9, 2015 3:18:25 PM PDT
    • 3 posts
    October 25, 2014 12:40:18 AM PDT
    1. Have you had nipple discharge? (No, I haven't)
    2. Is the skin red or (more red than usual). (Yes)
    3. have you tried anything for the dry skin? (No, should I?)
    4. Does anyone in your family have skin or breast conditions? (My cousin just completed her last chemo for breast cancer. My grandma has psoriasis.)
    5. Do you have dry skin elsewhere on your body. (No.)
    7. Have you had fevers-chills, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, constipation, weight loss or gain (intentional or not), change in energy level? (I have hacked nausea, and diarrhea.)
    8. Please take a look at this article from the Archives of Dermatology, and let me know if it seems similar to what you have. (No, I am not able to relate to that.)
    9. Are you able? Can you measure the mass of the left breath in centimeters with a ruler? (What do you mean by mass? If you are talking about the lump, then no, I can't. It's too small)
    10. Is the pain sharp or dull (It's a constant dull ache that has been getting worse every day.)
    11. Is it constant or does it come and go? (It is constant.)
    12. I think that you will likely need ot see a doctor about this. (Maybe, but I was hoping to get an opinion first because I do not currently have a job and don't want to ask for money.)
    13. Take a look at the link above and please let me know if you think it is similar or differetn to your convi (Different. I couldn't really relate.)
    ●Consistency of the mass (cystic versus solid) – Mammary duct ectasia and cysts of Montgomery are cystic, whereas fibroadenoma, phyllodes tumors, fat necrosis, and malignant breast tumors are usually solid. (So do you think it's a cyst? I've had them before, but the pain was sharp and just on that area. This is dull and constant and everywhere on my breasts, just mainly on my nipples hurt the worst.)
    ●Size of the mass – Fibroadenomas are usually smaller than phyllodes tumors (average of 2 to 3 cm versus 7 cm) [9,27]. The size of the mass can be monitored through the menstrual cycle. (Too small for centimeters.)
    ●Mobility of the mass – Fibroadenomas are usually mobile, whereas malignant breast tumors are usually (but not always) fixed to the underlying tissue. (This does not move around, but I can see it on my nipple.)
    ●Tenderness – Tenderness may be present before the onset of menses in adolescents with fibrocystic change and fibroadenoma. Tenderness also may occur in patients with infection or trauma. (Very tender. Very.)
    ●Overlying skin changes – Overlying skin changes may occur in large fibroadenomas, phyllodes tumors (the skin is shiny and stretched from rapid growth), an (Not really just dryness. And it is darker in color.)
    ●Nipple discharge – Nipple discharge may occur in fibrocystic disease (nonbloody green or brown), cysts of Montgomery (clear to brown), intraductal papilloma (bloody), mammary duct ectasia (multicolored, sticky), phyllodes tumor (bloody), infection (purulent) and breast cancer (bloody). (None. Thank God!)
    ●Appearance of the nipple – The nipple may appear to be blue or to have a blue mass under it in patients with mammary duct ectasia. Nipple retraction may occur in patients with breast cancer. (Umm, it's darker...kind of looks more like a purple.)
    ●Lymphadenopathy – Lymphadenopathy may be present in patients with breast infection or cancer. (Cancer?!)
    ●Hepatosplenomegaly – Hepatosplenomegaly may be an indication of metastatic cancer. (Cancer?!)
    • 1957 posts
    October 25, 2014 1:19:33 AM PDT

Hello M,

1. When did the nausea start? did you throw up?

2. When did the diarrhea start? How many bowel movements have you had a day?

3. Do you have itching?

4. Obviously a doctor will need to it. Since this public website we encourage people not to upload their photos unless they want everyone in the world, and if they do, it should be redacted. Meaning, no paintings in the background. 

5. They may be interested in checking a plasma insulin, gluocse level along with a plasma testosterone, and Dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate.

6. I am not familiar with the underlying of why you have pain, but will try to find out. 

7. Here is a picture of a condition called acanthosis Nigricans.

8. You may be interested in using a website called Sharecare http://www.sharecare.com

at the website you can enter your information into a questionaire and it will give you a list of conditions that you can discuss with your physician. 

9. In summary, I do know for certain what you have, but I would to try and provide with the relevant information so that you could asnwer your question. Also, I do not have a medical so I cannot offer a legal opinion. I have more training than a few of the doctors on the medical board. They reprimanded for reporting patient harm. I am suing them, their witness lied under oath to the judge. These things happen when people lies and don't investigate patinet harm. For transparency and clarity, inspite of also having more publications and research than some of the doctors on the medical board, they chose not to give a medical license and stated that a doctor who thought she could telepathically (literally), diagnose a lack of energy is clinically competent. Yet, I digress. Other conditions that sometimes present with hyperpigmentation or altered pigmentation of the nipple (wether in the acute or healed phase) are addisons disease, mastitis, eczema, possibly psoriasis. 

I look forward to hearing from you and I encourage you to checkout the share care website. 

Kind regards,

-BrettMD

Acanthosis Nigricans

Acanthosis NigricansAcanthosis nigricans (Fig. 12) is characterized by smooth, velvet-like, hyperkeratotic plaques in intertriginous areas (e.g., groin, axillae, neck). Three types of acanthosis nigricans have been recognized.

Type I is associated with malignancy. Occasionally, acanthosis nigricans is a marker of an underlying adenocarcinoma, especially of the gastrointestinal tract (60% gastric). Malignant acanthosis nigricans has a sudden onset and more extensive distribution, including the face, palms, and trunk. Type II is the familial type, with autosomal dominant transmission. It is very rare and appears at birth or soon after. Type II has no malignancy association. Type III acanthosis nigricans is associated with obesity and insulin resistance. Type III is the most commonly occurring type.

Acanthosis nigricans can develop following the use of some medications, such as systemic corticosteroids, nicotinic acid, diethylstilbestrol, and isoniazid (INH).

Differential diagnosis includes confluent and reticulated papillomatosis of Gougerot and Carteaud and Dowling-Degos disease.

Treatment for type I acanthosis nigricans includes identifying and removing the malignant tumor. Treatment for types II and III includes weight loss and treatment of the underlying endocrine disorder, if applicable. Topical treatments including tretinoin, calcipotriol, urea, and salicylic acid may be helpful.

Cowden's Syndrome

Search keywords: cyst on nipple, nipple eczema, acanthosis nigricans groin, nipple cyst, acanthosis nigricans nipple, eczema of the nipple, 3 nipple syndrome, nipple tumor, no nipple disorder, nipple cysts, psoriasis of the nipple, acanthosis nigricans in groin, breast eczema, psoriasis on nipple, acanthosis nigricans groin pictures, eczema nipple, how to get rid of acanthosis nigricans, diseased nipple, sticky nipple discharge, cancerous nipple, what nipples look like in early pregnancy, why is my groin area dark, sore areola, cyst of montgomery, nipple disease, nipple growth, acanthosis nigricans under breasts, nipple infection.

This post was edited by DrSocial Admin at March 9, 2015 3:19:13 PM PDT
    • 3 posts
    October 25, 2014 2:34:07 AM PDT
    1. When did the nausea start? did you throw up? (No, but I felt like I was about to, it was so bad.)
    2. When did the diarrhea start? How many bowel movements have you had a day? (It started about a week ago, around the same time my right breast started hurting.)
    3. Do you have itching? (No, I do not.)
    5. They may be interested in checking a plasma insulin, gluocse level along with a plasma testosterone, and Dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate. (How would they go about checking that? Also, how expensive would that be?)
    9. In summary, I do know for certain what you have... (You do? Can you tell me?)
    Other conditions that sometimes present with hyperpigmentation or altered pigmentation of the nipple (wether in the acute or healed phase) are addisons disease, mastitis, eczema, possibly psoriasis. (Hmm...one of them I had found on google when I searched. Mastitis. But it has to do with pregnancy. That's why I passed it up. There was one more that I related to but...I don't want to get myself worried unless it's true.)
    • 1957 posts
    October 25, 2014 9:05:18 AM PDT

Greetings, 

thank you for the reply. I can only provide you with medical information. Occasionally it allows people to diagnose themselves with certainty, but of course not always. Legally I cannot diagnose you, but if I had provided you with enough information to diagnose youself, and additional information such as labs were not needed, then that would be excellent. Now, my state medical board has been unable to define the practice of medicine and so they are a little shaky on the subject. Medicine isn't a secret, and the evidence & science unpinning it's practice is public information. However, the doctors on state licensing boards work diligently to maintain their monopoly. There is a reason that the public's trust in physicians is not that great. For one reason, the UMKC Pathology Chair lied under oath to the judge and in writing to the medical board. The medical board still trusted everything she said and reprimanded me for reporting months of poor patient care. 

In summary, in order to determine the cause with certainty you need both the physical exam, and possible laboratory evaluation. I would encourage you to visit the share care.com website. Also there's another website called HealthTap, if you're interested in saving money, they're both free. 

The lack of itching, makes eczema much less likely.

You are welcome to share the information given keep you from either of the sites and we could explore that even further. Typically the replies are often brief, and if you wanted more informationwe had additional questions, I would be glad to look that up for you.

Please consider keeping me updated.

Kind regards,

BrettMD 

This post was edited by DrSocial Admin at March 9, 2015 3:15:14 PM PDT
    • 120 posts
    May 25, 2017 7:35:04 PM PDT

christian louboutin sale

the north face outlet

cheap jerseys

new balance

mac cosmetics

michael kors