Forums » Ask a doctor for free health information

High Lymph percentage

• 1 posts
    October 22, 2014 2:07:11 PM PDT

My blood work results came in perfectly fine. WBC RBC, platelets and etc came in perfect. But, my lymphs came a little high, 53.2% and the normal is 12.0-48.0%. Is this something I should worry about or am I ok?

• 1957 posts
    October 22, 2014 5:20:08 PM PDT

Greetings J,

Thank you for the question.

Legal disclaimer:  we do not have a doctor-patient relationship and we cannot give specific instructions of care to you, but we can give you our best effort to find high-quality information that you can consider. If we are wrong, or you don't like what we say, feel free to leave a message and let us know how we can improve the quality of the service. In addition, we encourage other people in the community to contribute their knowledge to the questions that are asked. 

For example, if you have a rare disease, and had a rare surgery, please simply state "back surgery," and if needed we can explore that further.  If your neighbor or best friend reads this, will be they be able to identify you based on the information given? If yes, please remove the information or change it slightly. 

BAD example:  I live in Boston, Dr. Patel at MGH hospital diagnosed me with a schwannoma tumor last month, then I traveled to Tokyo and taught english for a year.  

Acceptable example: I live in the United States, I had a tumor & surgery, then I traveled abroad for work.

------------------------------------

IMPORTANT QUESTIONS

1.Why did you have your blood count checked?

2. What was your white blood cell count?

3. Age & gender, Please add or substract (1-3years if adult for privacy)?

4. Did they do any additional tests?

If you have a medical condition that prompted the test, please see the following: 

5. When did problem start?

6. Have you had this before? 

7. Is it getting better or worse? 

8. Body Mass Index? http://bit.ly/CDCbmi

9. Heart Rate? 

10. Temperature? 

11. Medications & supplements?

12. Surgeries? 

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards.

Lymphocytosis — In individuals older than 12 years, lymphocytosis is defined as an ALC >4000 cells/microL (also expressed as >4000/mm3 or >4.0 x 109/L). Levels of blood lymphocytes are higher in neonates and young children, who may have normal blood absolute lymphocyte counts as high as 8000/microL. While these definitions apply in general, increases in certain subpopulations of lymphocytes can be quite significant even though the normal value for total ALC has not been exceeded.

When the possibility of malignancy is considered in adults, age and ALC are the best predictors of abnormal immunophenotype by flow cytometry. The ALC cutoff values are >4.0 x 109/L for patients over 67 years of age, and 6.7 x 109 cells/L for patients between 50 and 67 years of age. Approximately 1.3 percent of individuals over 50 years of age will have an ALC >4.0 x 109, and 59 percent of these will have will have an abnormal immunophenotype [1,2].

Lymphocytosis

This post was edited by DrSocial Admin at June 7, 2015 7:10:06 AM PDT