Forums » Ask a doctor for free health information

E cig led posioning ?

• 1 posts
    October 18, 2014 9:04:01 PM PDT
    So I recently quit smoking for about 5 months now. So yesterday I wanted to try a non nicotine hookah water vapor pen. So I tried it and after a couple of hits I felt sick like nauseses. So I went straight to bed and woke up and still felt nausea. I drank a lot of water and that seemed to help but I still feel a little nausea. My question is do I have lead posioning from the non nicotine water caper pen? Or is it a side effect? I'm really freaked out and don't know what I should do.
    • 1955 posts
    October 19, 2014 1:49:27 AM PDT

Greetings F,

Thank you for the question.

Legal disclaimer:  we do not have a doctor-patient relationship and we cannot give specific instructions of care to you, butwe can give you our best effort to find high-quality information that you can consider. If we are wrong, or you don't like what we say, feel free to leave a message and let us know how we can improve the quality of the service. In addition, we encourage other people in the community to contribute their knowledge to the questions that are asked. 

For example, if you have a rare disease, and had a rare surgery, please simply state "back surgery," and if needed we can explore that further.  If your neighbor or best friend reads this, will be they be able to identify you based on the information given? If yes, please remove the information or change it slightly.  

BAD example:  I live in Boston, Dr. Patel at MGH hospital diagnosed me with a schwannoma tumor last month, then I traveled to Tokyo and taught english for a year. 

Acceptable example: I live in the United States, I had a tumor & surgery, then I traveled abroad for work.

-

Please puruse one of the following resources as soon as possible.

1. To obtain emergent consultation with a medical toxicologist, call the United States Poison Control Network at 1-800-222-1222, or access the World Health Organization's list of international poison centers (www.who.int/gho/phe/chemical_safety/poisons_centres/en/index.html)  Or go to the ER

http://bit.ly/hoOKAh OR go to the ER. 

3. Do you think it could be Carbon Monoxide poisoning (ie. Too much carbon monoxide, does the water vapor type of Hookah Produce Carbon Monoxide?) 

4. I am not familiar with the different types of Hookahs and I will educate myself on the topic.

I encourage you to 

4a.   To obtain emergent consultation with a medical toxicologist, call the United States Poison Control Network at 1-800-222-1222, or access the World Health Organization's list of international poison centers (www.who.int/gho/phe/chemical_safety/poisons_centres/en/index.html)  Or
    4b.    Go to the ER

Please consider keeping me updated. 
    Kind regards,
    -BrettMD

This post was edited by Brett Snodgrass at October 19, 2014 1:51:30 AM PDT
    • 1955 posts
    October 19, 2014 3:02:28 AM PDT

Electronic Cigarettes

Audience: Pediatric healthcare professionals and consumers

[Posted 07/22/2009] FDA notified healthcare professionals and patients that a laboratory analysis of electronic cigarette samples has found that they contain carcinogens and toxic chemicals such as diethylene glycol, an ingredient used in antifreeze. Electronic cigarettes, also called “e-cigarettes,” are battery-operated devices that generally contain cartridges filled with nicotine, flavor and other chemicals. The electronic cigarette turns nicotine, which is highly addictive, and other chemicals into a vapor that is inhaled by the user. These products are marketed and sold to young people and are readily available online and in shopping malls. They are also available in different flavors, such as chocolate and mint, which may appeal to young people.

The FDA’s Division of Pharmaceutical Analysis analyzed the ingredients in a small sample of cartridges from two leading brands of electronic cigarettes. In one sample, the FDA’s analyses detected diethylene glycol, a chemical used in antifreeze that is toxic to humans, and in several other samples, the FDA analyses detected carcinogens, including nitrosamines. These products do not contain any health warnings comparable to FDA-approved nicotine replacement products or conventional cigarettes. Because these products have not been submitted to the FDA for evaluation or approval, at this time the agency has no way of knowing, except for the limited testing it has performed, the levels of nicotine or the amounts or kinds of other chemicals that the various brands of these products deliver to the user.

Health care professionals and consumers may report serious adverse events (side effects) or product quality problems with the use of e-cigarettes to the FDA's MedWatch Adverse Event Reporting program either online, by regular mail, fax or phone.