Forums » Ask a doctor for free health information

I banged the front of my head hard against a wall, help?

• 1 posts
    October 16, 2014 11:56:43 PM PDT

Earlier I got in a bad fight with a family member. I was so overwhelmed by negative emotions and my thoughts were so scattered that all I wanted was for it to end and to experience some sort of physical pain. I don't know, maybe seeing the emotional pain turn into physical is theraputic in some weird way. Anyways, I couldn't get to knives or anything shrap so I banged my head against a wall as hard as I possibly could three times. At the time this was easy because I was feeling an adrenaline rush from all the anger/depression. Now I have a minor headache. I'm an 18 year old female (I don't know if age or gender have anything to do with how this might have affected me) ... do I have anything to worry about?

• 1955 posts
    October 17, 2014 1:11:11 AM PDT

Legal disclaimer:  we do not have a doctor-patient relationship and we cannot give specific instructions of care to you, but we can give you our best effort to find high-quality information that you can consider. If we are wrong, or you don't like what we say, feel free to leave a message and let us know how we can improve the quality of the service. In addition, we encourage other people in the community to contribute their knowledge to the questions that are asked. 

For example, if you have a rare disease, and had a rare surgery, please simply state "back surgery," and if needed we can explore that further.  If your neighbor or best friend reads this, will be they be able to identify you based on the information given? If yes, please remove the information or change it slightly. 

BAD example:  I live in Boston, Dr. Patel at MGH hospital diagnosed me with a schwannoma tumor last month, then I traveled to Tokyo and taught english for a year.  

Acceptable example: I live in the United States, I had a tumor & surgery, then I traveled abroad for work.

Please go to the ER for evaluation of high-impact head injury. 

Kind regards,

-BrettMD

• 1955 posts
    October 17, 2014 1:13:54 AM PDT

The mechanism is subjectively* classified as dangerous. I* am not a licensed medical doctor, but I don't commit fraud in court repeatedly as the medical board does. Yet, I digress. 

---

Please seek medical care. You have my sympathy and I hope that things improve. Please also discuss with the ER your feelings at the time. It will help them understand your motives and form a more thorough assessment, they will understand you were upset and that you don't have a brain tumor or anything that would need an MRI. Please be descriptive so that they understand.

Kind regards,

-BrettMD

This post was edited by Brett Snodgrass at October 17, 2014 1:20:37 AM PDT