Forums » Ask a doctor for free health information

Pain after surgery

• 2 posts
    September 17, 2014 2:14:35 PM PDT

I started having severe leg and hip pain about 3 months ago. My family doctor ordered and MRI and referred me to a neurosurgeon. The surgeon told me that there were two ruptured discs and sever stenosis. He preformed the surgery one week ago, but after the surgery he only mentioned one disc and a nerve that was laying over top of it. He told me that the pain in my hip and leg would go away almost immediately and I would only experience the normal pain that comes after surgery. Now one week later the pain is back and more sever than before the surgery. I called the surgeon and he says no I never told you that there were two ruptured discs, it will get better in about a month. I don't know If I believe him. I think he messed up and is unwilling to admit it. Would an MRI show if he missed something? What should I do?

This post was edited by DrSocial Admin at March 22, 2015 6:38:24 AM PDT
    • 1955 posts
    September 17, 2014 2:55:53 PM PDT

Greetings K,

Thank you kindly for your question. 

If that is your real name, please change it to protect your privacy. 

Legal disclaimer:  we do not have a doctor- relationship and we cannot give specific instructions of care to you, but we can give you our best effort tofindhigh quality information that you can consider. If we are wrong, or you don't like what we say, feel free to leave a message and let us know how we can improve quality of service.In addition, we encourage other people in the community to contribute their knowledge to the questions that are asked. 

For example, if you have a rare disease, and had a rare surgery, please simply state "back surgery," and if needed we can explore that further.  If your neighbor or best friend reads this, will be they be able to identify you based on the information given? If yes, please remove the information or change it slightly. 

BAD example:  I live in Boston, Dr. Patel at MGH hospital diagnosed me with a schwannoma tumor last month, then I traveled to Tokyo and taught english for a year.  

Acceptable example: I live in the United States, I had a tumor & surgery, then I traveled abroad for work.

Please remember that this is a public health network and will be seen by people around the world. Therefore do not answer any questions that could potentially identify yourself (or the person with the health concern, please know that "you," refers to the person with the health concern), please do not answer any questions that may appear less relevant. 

----

Greetings, if you lose control of your bowel or bladder, or start having loss of sensation or loss of ability to move your legs, then you may want to consider going to the ER

I. When discrepancies such as this arise, the best thing to do is to check 

II. Most doctors do not lie to patients, so it is unlikely but not impossible that he intended 

to deceive you or give you false information, or that he said one thing and did another. 

III. I am not saying this is whathappened, I am only making observations as an independent third party. You likely will want to a obtainthe CD'sand reports of all your medical records. If he said something such as therearetwo disks, one that  has ruptured with expulsion of the nucleuspulposus, and there is another that has ruptured through part of the Laminafibrosa, .. I do not know. However, if you obtain your records, you will be better able to convince others of your case against a doctor.  The attorney will say "why would some doctor who wants to help people and save  lives for a living lie to you. You are just after money." In order to PREVENT that from happening, should the need arise, please obtain all of your medical records. They will also likely help with your future care. 

-----

One of the concerns is that things are getting worse. This has been reported after surgery. What type of surgery did you have, was it a laminectomY/

Was there a fusion surgery performed or no? again, I am not saying that you have this, but it ssomething to be cautious about to make sure that everyone who complains of back surgery, does not have.

figure

Fig. 4A76-year-old woman 8 days after laminectomy and lumbar fusion for back pain and severe degenerative disease.

A Sagittal T1-weighted MR image shows large heterogeneous collection (arrows) at laminectomy site from L2 to S1 that extends into epidural space compressing thecal sac and narrowing spinal canal.

1. Age: Please add or subtract (2-5 years if adult for privacy)?

2. Gender: 
    2. When did the problem start?  3 months ago.
    3. Have you had this before?  

5. Medical conditons. 

6. Medications.

7. Surgeries.
    Read More: http://www.ajronline.org/doi/full/10.2214/AJR.11.6497

9. Location of pain. Can you point your finger to the spot of pain?

10. Intensity of pain currently: 0-10 (0 is no pain 10 is the worst pain)

11. Quality: sharp or dull?

12. Onset: when did it start, last week, 5 years ago?

13. Duration: How long does it last?

14. Radiation: does the pain spread anywhere?

15. Has anything else been associated with the pain?

16. What has made the pain better?

17. What has made it worse?

18. How much pain are you in after treatment with your current medications?

19. How much pain are you in without treatment?

20. Is person able to walk on the leg? 

21. Does the picture display and nerve that reflect where the pain is.

22. what side of his leg is affected? the inside, and which leg is it? 

23. Are having any other trouble with his bowel or bladder? 

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,

-BrettMD

This post was edited by DrSocial Admin at March 22, 2015 6:38:00 AM PDT
    • 2 posts
    September 17, 2014 3:35:34 PM PDT

I am a 30 year old female. This pain started about 3 months ago. I work a very physical job, lifting, climbing steps, bending a lot, etc. I started having back pain when I was about 16 years old but this particular pain started about 3 months ago. I have never been treated for anything related before. The pain starts in my right hip and radiates down the back of my right leg to the knee.It is very sharp and on a scale of 1-10 I would rate the pain right now as a 9. The doctor put me on Percocet after the surgery and with it I would rate the pain a 6. Without it I am constantly hurting and in tears. I cannot stay in one position for more than 5 minutes at a time so I have not been getting much sleep and simply cannot drive anywhere. I am still able to walk but with a limp. I cannot walk normal. I have had a few instances where I could not control my bladder and wet the bed or wet myself. I told my doctor this and he said that he didn't know what that was and assumes it's not related. The surgery was a laminectomy. The papers I signed before the surgery stated L4 and L5 (I don't know what this means or if it will help you). But the operating review only talks about L4.

This post was edited by DrSocial Admin at March 22, 2015 6:34:47 AM PDT
    • 1955 posts
    September 17, 2014 4:20:22 PM PDT

Thank you for the reply K, 

1. If you are in the USA, it is reasonable to assume that every neurosurgeon is more qualified than me to talk about the surgery that they did. However, exceptions exist, and in these cases, it usually doesn't take a medical degree to figure out that the doctors were dishonest or made an error. However, these are not common. Perspective Things Appear

2. You will probably want to obtain the MRI report from the hospital along with your medical records, and then read the radiology report and see if they say two of anything. 

3. I wish I could tell you what is correct or why the doctor did or didn't do something, but I wasn't there. Unfortunately, things like this happen very frequently. Sometimes doctors say the wrong thing, sometimes they don't. 

4. If you lose more of your bowel or bladder function or it happens again, these could* be signs of cauda equina syndrome, meaning, that multiple nerves are compressed. Things that could lead to this include a hematoma..

5. Other complications after surgery include lightheadedness, and orthostatic hypotension, aka, getting low blood pressure, when going from lying down to sitting, or standing. (standing usually more severe than sitting). Thus my opinion is that if one goes from lying to sitting and has orthostatic hypotension, they will have it if they go from lying down to standing. 1: Hershman S, Cuellar VG, Bendo JA. Delayed presentation of incidental durotomy. Bull Hosp Jt Dis (2013). 2013;71(3):231-4. PubMed PMID: 24151952.

-------

SUMMARY

1. If you have more loss of function, eg. if you start losing the ability to move or feel where your leg or foot in manner that you previous could, consider seeking Emergency Department care. In addition, you may want to ask your surgeon if it is possible that you could develop  cauda equina syndrome if you lost control of your bladder.

They are very familiar with this, so I am a bit perplexed about why they said they didn't know what it could be.

If you have progressive loss of function, bowel, bladder, feeling or movement, please call your doctor and/or go to the emergency room for evaluation.

2. Is it possible that the two disks, was one disk between two vertebrae? The disk was the L4-L5 disk, that is present between the Vertebrae of L4 and L5. In order to give the nerve more room, The laminae of one vertebrae was removed, presumably L4, and the removal of "part of the vertebrae," resulted in less pressure on the nerve by a single intervertebral disc, the L4-L5 disk?'

Laminectomy of a vertebrae Stenosis

Please consider keeping me updated.

Kind regards,

-BrettMD

This post was edited by DrSocial Admin at March 22, 2015 6:34:16 AM PDT