Forums » Ask a doctor for free health information

Groin Pull

• 2 posts
    August 26, 2014 11:11:22 AM PDT

I'm a 15 year old male with a minor groin pull. I didn't stretch. Anyway, Now I've been stretching sveral times a day and heating the groin. 

Question: Is it okay to do wall sits and BODY WEIGHT squats and planks while letting it recover?

• 1955 posts
    August 26, 2014 12:36:12 PM PDT
    Pain Questions:

31. Location of pain. Can you point your finger to the spot of pain?

32. Intensity of pain currently: 0-10 (0 is no pain 10 is the worst pain)

33. Quality: sharp or dull?

34. Onset: when did it start, last week, 5 years ago?

35. Duration: How long does it last?

36. Radiation: does the pain spread anywhere?

37. Has anything else been associated with the pain?

38. What has made the pain better?

39. What has made it worse?

40. How much pain are you in after treatment with your current medications?

41. How much pain are you in without treatment?

I look forward to hearing from you,

Legal disclaimer: we do not have a doctor- relationship and I cannot give specific instructions of care to you, but I can give you my best effort to find high quality information that you can consider. If I am wrong, or you don't like what I say, feel free to leave a message and let me know how I can improve quality of service. This information is public, please do not give any identifiying information. In addition, I encourage other people in the community to contribute their knowledge to the questions that are asked.

This information is public, please do not give any identifiying information. For example, if you have a rare disease, and had a rare surgery, please simply state "back surgery," and if needed we can explore that further. If your neighbor or best friend reads this, will be they be able to identify you based on the information given? If yes, please remove the information or change it slightly.

BAD example: I live in Boston, and Dr. Patel at MGH diagnosed me with a tumor, schwannoma last month, then I traveled to Tokyo and taught english for a year.

Acceptable example: I live in the United States, Had a tumor & surgery, then I traveled abroad & for work.

What sport?

Please download the image from. UpToDate, it may be removed for copyright purposes.

I look forward to hearing from you.
    Kind regards,
    -BrettMD
    • 2 posts
    August 26, 2014 12:53:46 PM PDT

31. Location of pain. Inner groin and between thigh and hip

32. Intensity of pain currently: I'd say 3 at absolute worst moments, usually I don't feel it

33. Quality: Mind of a mix

34. Onset: when did it start, last week, 5 years ago? A little over a week ago after I ran after not stretching

35. Duration: How long does it last? I've had it, but it usually doesn't hurt. But I can tell its not healed fully yet

36. Radiation: does the pain spread anywhere? No

37. Has anything else been associated with the pain? No

38. What has made the pain better? Rest

39. What has made it worse? Hurts after stretching or heating

40. How much pain are you in after treatment with your current medications? I have no medications

41. How much pain are you in without treatment? Hardly any. Bottom line are body weight squats okay to perfrom?

• 1955 posts
    August 26, 2014 1:01:16 PM PDT

Greetings, Thank you for the reply

The following information is from one of the best hospitals in the world. http://www.mayoclinic.org/symptoms/groin-pain/basics/causes/sym-20050652

Groin Pain Causes

The most common cause ofgroin pain is muscle, tendon or ligament strain, particularly in athletes who play sports such as hockey, soccer and football.Groin pain may occur immediately after an injury, orpain may come on gradually over a period of weeks or even months. Groin pain may be worsened by continued use of the injured area.

Less commonly, a bone injury or fracture, a hernia, or even kidney stones may cause groin pain. Although testicle pain and groin painare different, a testicle condition can sometimes cause pain that spreads to the groin area.

Direct and indirect causes of groin pain can include:

Avascular necrosis (death of bone tissue due to li

Schedule a doctor's visit if you have:

• Severe groin pain  (three probably isn't severe)
    • Groin pain that doesn't improve with home treatment within a few days (this is possible)
    • Mild testicle pain lasting longer than a few days
    • A lump or swelling in or around a testicle
    • Intermittent intense pain along the lower side of your abdomen (flank) that may radiate along your groin and into your testicle
    • Blood in your urine

Self-care

If your groin pain is caused by a strain or sprain, these self-care measures may help:

• Take an over-the-counter pain reliever such as ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin IB, others) or acetaminophen (Tylenol, others).
    • Place an ice pack or bag of frozen peas on the sore area for 20 to 30 minutes two to four times a day.

--------------

To answer your question: If you feel that you are using the injured area when doing the lifts then no.
    However, if you do not use the injured area, then there is no contraindication in the listed information. 
    -If it hurts when you do the lifts, then it is NOT okay.
    -If the exercises feel fine, and there is no pain in the groin, then that is reassuring. I can't tell you what to do as this is an online forum. If it were me, and I felt pain while lifting, then I would stop. 
    -If I felt fine while lifting, then I would continue lifting.
    Please consider keeping me updated.
    Kind regards,
    -BrettMD

This post was edited by DrSocial Admin at August 30, 2014 11:05:29 AM PDT