Forums » Ask a doctor for free health information

• 1 posts
    August 8, 2014 6:52:11 AM PDT

I have copd.  in the middle of the night I wake up because my heart rate has gone up to 103 to 130.  I am sleeping, breathing with my oxegen on, no excertion on my part.  Why would my heart rate go up like that? 

• 445 posts
    August 8, 2014 9:23:34 AM PDT

Legal disclaimer:  we do not have a doctor- relationship and we cannot give specific instructions of care to you, but we can give you our best effort to find high quality information that you can consider. If we are wrong, or you don't like what we say, feel free to leave a message and let us know how we can improve  quality of service.In addition, we encourage other people in the community to contribute their knowledge to the questions that are asked. 

This information is public, please do not give any identifiying information. For example, if you have a rare disease, and had a rare surgery, please simply state "back surgery," and if needed we can explore that further.  If your neighbor or best friend reads this, will be they be able to identify you based on the information given? If yes, please remove the information or change it slightly. 

BAD example:  I live in Boston, Dr. Patel at MGH hospital diagnosed me with a schwannoma tumor last month, then I traveled to Tokyo and taught english for a year.  

Acceptable example: I live in the United States, Had a tumor & surgery, then I traveled abroad for work.

Please answer these questions and help the doctor to assist you in a more efficient way:

1. Age: Please add or substract (2-5 years if adult for privacy) 

2. When did problem start? 

3. Have you had this before? 

4. Is it getting better or worse? 

5. Height? 

6. Weight? 

7. Heart Rate?

8. Temperature? 

9. Medical conditions current? 

10. Medical conditions past? 

12. Your current medications? 

13. Your current supplements? 

14. Your surgeries? 

15.  Recreational drugs?

16.  How many cigarettes do you smoke per day?

17. Number of alcohol drinks/day?

18. Medical conditions in family?

19.What is your primary concern you want the doctor to answer?

This post was edited by DrSocial Admin at April 26, 2015 3:51:24 AM PDT
    • 1957 posts
    August 8, 2014 10:39:37 AM PDT

Dear S,

Thank you for your question.

Did you stop breathing? If that happens due to obstructive sleep apnea, one becomes low in oxygen and the heart will beat faster to try and get more blood to the heart & body.

What I mean, is that if a person stops breathing or their oxygen decreases ➡️ there is less oxygen in the blood, so more blood is needed to give oxygen, this happens by sending blood faster. That is possible that other causes could contribute to this.

Please see http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/tachycardia/basics/causes/CON-20043012 Comments and suggestions are welcome.

1. Please help me better understand your situation so I can put apply human pathophysiology to your particular situation. How did you identify that your heart rate went up?

2. Has this ever happened before? 

3. Do you sleep with a pulse oximeter? How do you know that your heart rate went up? 

4. Have you ever had an overnight sleep test?

5. Did you wake up choking ? 

The following information is from UPToDate

INTRODUCTION — The natural history of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) includes gradually worsening shortness of breath and functional limitation, caused by a progressive decline in lung function and the development of co-morbid illnesses [1].

Multifocal atrial tachycardia, atrial fibrillation, and ventricular arrhythmias are common co-morbidities among patients with COPD [2].

Do you take the medicine, theophylline?

http://www.uptodate.com/contents/arrhythmias-in-copd?

This post was edited by DrSocial Admin at April 26, 2015 3:52:04 AM PDT
    • 445 posts
    April 26, 2015 4:13:51 AM PDT

Dear reader,

if you are looking for any information related to COPD, COPD treatment or COPD Apps you may want to read the following forum posts:

GOLD COPD Strategy = an app for healthcare providers

Diagnoses of multiple illness/conditions simultaneously..?

COPD – Healthcare Apps

You may also consider rating your doctor and help future patients. Sign up your free account on DrSocial and write a review on your doctor.

If you are looking for a doctor in your area, check out our selection of great doctor reviews