Forums » Ask a doctor for free health information

Burns and eczema

• 2 posts
    July 5, 2014 5:45:48 PM PDT

I recently burnt my thumb and I took it to my aunt who used to be a nurse. She says that to place antibacterial ointment over it and bandage it over night. After a night, the color changed from being red to white, to a gray-purple color with a red ring around it. I'm not sure if I should be concerned about this or not. It has gone from being painful to being numb, as if it is asleep. Should I be concerned? Will it heal on its own? It hasn't blistered. I also have eczema from stress and allergies that appear on my middle and ring finger. I moisturize as much as I need to, but it has been getting irritated lately. I haven't changed the lotion I've been using--Aveeno Eczema. Is there anything else I could use to calm it?

This post was edited by DrSocial Admin at March 22, 2015 7:00:21 AM PDT
    • 1955 posts
    July 5, 2014 6:07:45 PM PDT

Greetings PMercury,
    Thank you very much for your question.

Legal disclaimer:  we do not have a doctor- relationship and I cannot give specific instructions of care to you, but I can give you high quality information that you can consider. If I am wrong, or you don't like what I say, feel free to leave a message and let me know how I can improve the quality of service.

1. Yes, you should probably be concerned about the burn, and be evaluated by a physician. Feel free to upload a picture. Loss of sensation in your digit is concerning.

2. Here is a video on conquering eczema from my former boss, an expert dermatologist who speaks internationally. I hope it helps. 

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,

-BrettMD

This post was edited by DrSocial Admin at March 22, 2015 6:59:48 AM PDT
    • 1955 posts
    July 5, 2014 6:10:00 PM PDT

Also I am going to crowdsource the question, by that I mean tweet it, share it on facebook and google plus. Thank you for not using your real name. 

This post was edited by DrSocial Admin at March 22, 2015 6:58:24 AM PDT
    • 1955 posts
    July 6, 2014 1:46:02 AM PDT

Burn gradingThank you for the picture. 

1. If you push on the burn area does it blanch? (does it go from pink to skin color)

2. How did you burn the finger? 

3. On a scale of 0-10,  if 10 were the worst pain you could be in, how would you rate the pain?

4. What have you tried for pain? 

5. Did it help and if so, how much? 

6. Are you able to feel objects with the tip and bottom of your thumb?

7. Are you able to move your thumb? 

8. Are you moving your thumb? One of the things of concern would be if you no longer moved your thumb and the joint 

9. Per uptodate, a medical website,  these a concerning sign for burns would be "poor perfusion.", 

Signs of poor perfusion include

Capillary refill time > 2 seconds; if you push on the nail, you should see the blood leave, called blanching); how long does it take for the blood to return when your hand is at heart level? 2 seconds or less is normal.

10. Take a look at the burn grading scheme and see which one fits you best. Image copyright of uptodate.

I look forward to hearing from you,

-BrettMD

This post was edited by DrSocial Admin at March 22, 2015 6:58:06 AM PDT
    • 2 posts
    July 6, 2014 11:58:23 AM PDT

1) it does not turn pink

2) onebof my family members burned me with a firework.

3) on 0-10, 0 to 1. The most pain is a slight tingle.

4) I didn't take anything for the pain

5) 6) it's just that one spot I can't feel. My thumb moves and there's feeling in it.

7) thumb moves

8) I'm moving it around. Texting and typing.

9) it takes a second to blanch and come back to the purple/gray color

10) on the scale, I would say its the last one on the bottom. Maybe the one before.

This post was edited by DrSocial Admin at March 22, 2015 6:57:13 AM PDT
    • 1955 posts
    July 6, 2014 1:03:09 PM PDT

Thank you kindly for your reply,

The burn area is less than 1% of body area, which is very reassuring, per the table, as is the fact that it doesn't cross a joint and you are able to move it. However, concerning features are that it is on your hand, insensate, and does not blanch. 

Burn Injury Severity Grading System

I hope this information helps some. Again, I cannot tell you what to do for legal purposes. Also that you can text and move your thumb easily is reassuring. Please take a look at the recommended treatment for burns from uptodate and let me know if you have any questions.

Comments, questions, and follow-up information are always welcome

Kind regards, 

BrettMD

reference

http://www.uptodate.com/contents/treatment-of-minor-thermal-burns

This post was edited by DrSocial Admin at March 22, 2015 6:56:12 AM PDT
    • 445 posts
    July 27, 2014 2:13:20 PM PDT

Here is an interesting link for this issue:

What I need to know about eczema

https://www.inspire.com/groups/national-eczema-association/discussion/stinging-and-burning-1/

This post was edited by DrSocial Admin at March 22, 2015 6:55:04 AM PDT