Forums » Nutrition and Weight Loss

Nutrition - Papaya

• 445 posts
    April 6, 2014 4:12:34 PM PDT

Reasons to Eat Papaya, the "Fruit of the Angels"

Packed with essential vitamins and antioxidants, papaya is renowned for its nutritional, digestive, and healing properties. Also known as the "fruit of angels," it boasts a sweet taste and a soft, butter-like consistency. The legend says that it was one of the favorite foods of Christopher Columbus. Every part of a papaya tree is loaded with nutrients. People use its seeds, leaves, and fruits to cure diseases, treat digestive problems, and revitalize their bodies.

Papaya Nutrition Facts

This pear-shaped fruit provides 39 calories, 9.81 grams of carbs, 0.61 grams of protein, 0.14 grams of fat, and 3 milligrams of sodium per 100 grams. A medium papaya (275 grams) contains 224.1 percent of the recommended daily allowance (RDA) of vitamin C, 25.5 percent of the RDA of folate, and 18.7 percent of the RDA of vitamin A. Papaya is also rich in dietary fiber, potassium, magnesium copper, and pantothenic acid.

According to researchers, papaya boasts high amounts of carotenes and flavonoids, which have powerful antioxidant effects. The fruit of the papaya tree contains papain, an enzyme that aids in protein digestion and has a soothing effect on the stomach. Due to its high nutritional value, papaya is called "fruta bomba" (bomb fruit) in Cuba. This fruit is a bomb loaded with vitamins, enzymes, antioxidants, and polyphenols.

Health Benefits and Uses

The antioxidants in this fruit prevent premature aging, lower the risk of cancer, and fight cardiovascular disease. Papaya is very low in calories and has no cholesterol, making it ideal for dieters. It contains lycopene and beta-carotene, which protect your skin against free radicals and slow the aging process.

Regular consumption of papaya may help improve eyesight, lower cholesterol levels, and enhance the body's natural ability to fight diseases. Studies have found that people who eat this fruit a few times a week had lower rates of infection by HPV, the cervical cancer virus. Papaya can be consumed raw, used as a skin exfoliator, applied directly on wounds, or added to smoothies and desserts.
    Learn more about DrSocial. Watch our presentation.

This post was edited by DrSocial Admin at June 10, 2015 7:44:27 AM PDT
    • 10 posts
    May 27, 2014 9:09:26 AM PDT

A few years ago I had an ear problem and being hesitant to overuse antibiotics, my DR. suggested I take papaya tablets to clear out congestion - it worked beautifully. Within a few days my ear was clear and it even seemed to help with my sinus congestion. What are the studies supporting papaya's use as a decongestant?

• 445 posts
    June 10, 2015 8:41:04 AM PDT

Dear reader,

if you are looking for any information related to nutrition, fruit, mango, papaya, pineapple, avocado, almonds, you may want to read these related articles:

Mango

Pineapple

Avocado

Almonds

Also, consider rating your doctor and help future patients. Sign up your free account on DrSocial and write a review on your doctor.

If you are looking for a doctor in your area, check out our selection of doctor reviews.