Forums » Ask a doctor for free health information

foot and ankle pain

• 7 posts
    December 20, 2016 7:43:27 PM PST

hello i have put a lot of strain on my foot this last year. and now have an ankle deformity. my ankle bone is sticking out it looks like fluid build up, something like i saw on my dads elbow when i was little he said he had tennis elbow. so i would like to ask is it "tennis ankle"or has my bone become displaced. it hurts on the ankle bone if it gets just barely bumped and i have pain on the inside of my foot right on the other side of my ankle sometimes, and my arch is hurting. back last spring when i mowed the lawn i spranged my ankle i heard it make a ripping sound. i stepped in a hole and twisted it, lots of pain. but i was able to walk on it, i spent the rest of the weekend with my foot up, the swelling went down fast and it didnt hurt as bad as it has in the past when ive spranged it. which was over 10 yrs ago. so i though it must not have been as bad as it sounded. so i went to work on monday. after a few weeks my foot started to hurt and i noticed brusing, a little around my ankle and some along the edge on the side of the bottom of my foot, which had never happened before with the other sprangs in the past. my job consisted of climbing up and down the stairs at work with boxes sometimes about 20 or thirty pounds. and the rest of the day stocking and lifting boxes off the floor sometimes fifty pounds. for 8 hours a day. and i was 50 yrs old and i weigh around 220 to 230 pounds. so i bought some new shoes to help with the pain. then i went to other jobs with some lifting less stair climbing. then about 5 months later i had this one job i had a lot less walking mostly standing in one spot. my feet started hurting bad and then my ankles started to swell. i got a break off work for about five days when the swelling went down i noticed my left ankle was sticking out more. and it seems to get bruised sometimes and turn red right on my ankle bone sticking out. do you have an idea whats wrong, please tell me. sincerely, hurt foot lady. oh in the picture i have been wearing an ankle foot compression sock lately thinking it would help. ive been off work trying to heal it for about a month and a half now, this is a picture i took just now, december 20, 2016

• 1957 posts
    December 21, 2016 11:12:58 AM PST

Dear H,

Thank you for the question.

Legal Disclaimer:  we do not have a doctor-patient relationship, and we cannot give specific instructions of care to you, but we can give you our best effort to find high-quality information that you can consider. If we are wrong, or you do not like what we say, feel free to leave a message and let us know how we can improve the quality of the service. Also, we encourage other people in the community to contribute their knowledge to the questions that are asked.

Please take steps to protect your privacy as this is a public healthcare forum. One way that you can protect your privacy is by using intentionally general descriptions instead of specific times and places. For example, if you have a rare disease and had a rare surgery, please only state "back surgery," and if needed we can explore that further.  If your neighbor or best friend reads this, will be they be able to identify you based on the information given? If yes, please remove the information or change it slightly.

BAD example:  I live in Boston, Dr. Patel at MGH hospital diagnosed me with a schwannoma tumor last month, and then I traveled to Tokyo and taught English for a year. 

Acceptable example: I live in the United States, I had a tumor & surgery, and then I traveled abroad for work.

You have my sympathy for having to take off work for this problem. To find the underlying cause of this problem, you will want to check the pulses in your foot to see if they are decreased. Check for the Dorsalis Pedis Pulse and the “Posterior Tibial Pulse.”

Dorsalis Pedis Pulse = _____

Posterior Tibial Pulse = ______

Capillary refill in the toes = ______

The evaluation of your problem will include a complete history and physical examination, and you may need imaging such as ultrasound, MRI, or X-rays. I will be glad to try and help you begin this process.

Questions

1. Does the swelling get better when you lie down?
    2. Is the swelling worse on the left side?
    3. Have you had ulcers of the skin before?
    4. Do you have less hair on the lower leg than before?
    5. Are you taking steroid medications such as prednisone?
    6. Does it hurt when you go walking up hills –or do you think that you might be -  having pain in your calves from insufficient blood supply?

1. According to the – UpToDate – causes of swelling in the feet include – “venous insufficiency”medical reference

1. Heart Failure – do you become short of breath with walking? Are the veins in your neck dilated?

1. Renal Disease – losing protein in the urine

1. Liver diseases – where the liver does not make enough albumin.

1. Medications – such as those that dilate blood vessels.

1. Do you think you will be able to see a doctor for this? You certainly can get the evaluation started by googling “evaluation of peripheral pulses of the feet and lower extremity.”

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,

-BrettMD

• 7 posts
    December 21, 2016 3:51:18 PM PST

dorsalis pedis pulse 3          posterior tibial 3   its kind of cold in the house. i havent been walking hardly at all. but when i move and wigggle my feet my veins pop out. the scale of 1 to 4 of pulse cold feet 2. warm feet wiggled 3. swelling goes way down when i lie down. when i wake up in the morning i looks almosst normal. after walking a bit bathroom visit, and coffee it imediately starts to swell. worse swelling on the ankle side (left side), no ulcers ever, some guy hit the top of my foot lightly with a type of wire shelf a couple of months ago no bruising just some redness when i checked it right after. i can feel my toes just fine, i can feel my foot just fine, no numbness. if i walk up a hill no pain. ive taken no medications. just the new pains of what seems like some overworking the arch of my foot, swelling around the ankle. and on the other side on the inside some pain and pain and redness right on top of the ankle. when i searched for pulse nothing hurt i pushed in on my foot in the areas looking for pulse. 

• 7 posts
    December 21, 2016 3:57:07 PM PST

i think my hair on the lower part of my legs are the same. ill check next time i shave, i really hadnt thought about it much. 

• 7 posts
    December 21, 2016 4:02:57 PM PST

on my lower leg lower part of calf when i first took off work nov 15. there were some tiny red blood vessels i could see. 

• 7 posts
    December 21, 2016 4:06:46 PM PST

no pain in my calves they seem to work just fine. theres plenty of blood flow in both my legs, calves, and foot