Forums » Ask a doctor for free health information

what is malaria++?

• 6 posts
    June 18, 2016 3:13:34 PM PDT

Hello, so my dad who is between 60 and 70 (redacted  by BrettMD) old threw up some days ago and while he was, the centre of his head was swelling up frightfully. My mum was there so she immediately began to push it back down. The doctor diagonised him as having Malaria ++... and his blood was very dark and thick. He was given some drugs to take and is well on his way to getting better. The problem now is that he is experiencing dizziness everytime he stands so he finds it difficult to walk around easily now (every other symptom is gone except for the dizziness. He is still on medication though) ..also he hears a buzzing noise in one of his ears for a while especially after phone calls... What do you think is wrong please? He is taking LISINOPRIL TAB usp 5mg, MEGAFIT, LONART TAB + INJECTION...that's all. What do you think is the cause of the dizziness? Is there a way to make it go away?

This post was edited by Brett Snodgrass at June 18, 2016 8:05:37 PM PDT
    • 1957 posts
    June 18, 2016 8:28:39 PM PDT

Dear M, 

Thank you for the question. Is your father in the hospital? Was he in the hospital for a time? Is he in the hospital now?

The dizziness is concerning, it could be due to the Lonart.

1. He should call his doctor and tell them about the dizziness; it could be due to the medicine

1b. The Megafit should be discussed with the doctor, please see the information about Lonart

Artemether and Lumefantrine from Medline

2. How long has he been taking lisinopril? Sometimes it can cause ringing in the ears (tinnitus) 

Reference: Lisinopril: Drug information - http://www.uptodate.com/contents/lisinopril-drug-information
    3. Do you think he is drinking enough water? Does he have swelling in his legs? It seems that the dizziness is a big problem since he cant walk around. Has he checked his blood pressure? 

I look forward to hearing from you,

Kind regards,

-BrettMD

This post was edited by Brett Snodgrass at June 18, 2016 8:34:13 PM PDT
    • 6 posts
    June 23, 2016 2:06:00 PM PDT

Thank you for responding

He went to the hospital and came out the same day. yes, he is taking a lot of water . hHe started the lisinopril on the 7th of june.

He has spoken to his doctor about the drugs abnd the dizziness. Doctor said he should keep taking the drugs till the end of the dosage.

As of today , he says the dizziness is going away but gradually.

The dizziness and ringing in the ear were actually the main reason he went to the hospital in the first place.

What do you think?

• 1957 posts
    June 23, 2016 3:57:36 PM PDT

Dear M,

Thank you for the reply. It is good to hear that he is less dizzy. Please consider the following questions, and only answer those that are applicable. Please remember this is a public forum that is read around the world - please do not answer any questions that might jeapardize his or your privacy.

1. Can he walk?

2. How far can he walk?

3. How did they make the diagnosis of malaria? 

4. How is his blood pressure? 

5. If I may ask, what country do you live in, and what continent did you travel to prior to your father's illness.

6.  Does he still have the ringing in the ears?

7. Does he live in the USA?

8. Do you know what type of malaria he has? 

9. Does he still have swelling of his scalp/head?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,

-BrettMD

• 6 posts
    July 10, 2016 1:52:19 PM PDT

Thankyou so much for responding.

Yes he can walk but he gets tired easily when he tries to walk around as much as before. He noticed that he now rests more in the afternoon; this was not the case before either.

The diagnosis was made in the hospital- syringe and all- it was a blood test and ome kind of big machine was used in a laboratory tolook at it. Same applies to urine, kidney and liver tests...

As at the time he visityed the hospital, his blood pressure was 150/90 . the first thing they did when he arrived the hospital was check his blood pressure.

Yes he still has the ringing in his ears. it was there before he got ill. One ear is affected and the illness magnified it. There is a piering sound that comes during the buzzing and thougfh its not painful, it is extremely disturbing. 

It was described as malaria++ with a  level +2

There is no more swelling inthe head. atleast none that we can see. The swelling happened while he was throwing up and He says it \was as if the head was going to burst an d his gullet couldn't expand any further

• 1957 posts
    July 10, 2016 7:21:30 PM PDT
    Dear M,

Please kindly consider the following.

1. Your father may want to see a doctor about tinnitus. They may need to be referred to an Ear Nose and Throat Doctor (Otorhinolaryngolist).

How many times per day does he have the ringing in his ears? You meaning their is a pearing sound, and this suggest that he should see a doctor. Can you hear the pearing sound, or only your father?

2. It sounds as if your father said that he felt he had less energy. Previously, he was not walking due to dizziness, but now he is walking some. From that perspective, it seems as if he is improving. Please help keep him hydrated if you think it is needed. Anemia could be a concern, but it's difficult for me to assess his activity level and compare it to the past.

Is he eating and sleeping okay? What is his temperature?

3. Since this is a public forum, and you seem rather astute, I assume that the above name is not your actual name. If it is, please change it.

4. When do you think he can have a doctor listen to his head and neck with a stethoscope? Further work up may be necessary, and I would encourage you to help your father get plugged into the tinnitus-part of the healthcare system.

Best regards,
    -BrettMD
    • 6 posts
    July 14, 2016 3:12:43 PM PDT

okay ...

so he was at the hospital few days back and he was told to go and do a brain test, heart / blood / kidney examinations, x-ray on the tummy and visit a ENT Doctor like you said. That was because he explained all over again about the swelling in the head that happened along with his neck veins straining and seeming like they were going to snap...

His legs were checked (they told him to sit and lift them up), they were fine.

Also they checkec his heartbeat with a stethoscope, asked if he had cough, told him he must sleep for 7hours daily,  and increased his Lisinopril prescription from 5mg to 20mg.

Something unusual happened though... He was given a different prescription altogether from the first consisting of :  ZISTY LISINOPRIL TAB 20mg (once daily) ,  VASOPRIN TAB (75mg),  LESOTAN TAB 3mg  ,  AMLODIPINE TAB 5mg.

He took the entire combination above the first day and actually slept 6hours straight for the first time in many years...

Also, the doctors who were to conduct the blood, heart, kidney, brain test said he should get supplements to help. They said if he can start on supplements for these things, he wouldn't even need to undergo any tests as his body will improve .

What do you think?

And if that is the case, what kinds of supplements would you prescribe?

Thank you for all your responses . They are very much appreciated

• 6 posts
    July 14, 2016 3:14:41 PM PDT

I forgot to add that after he took that medication combination that first day, the buzzing and whistling sounds in his ear reduced

• 1957 posts
    July 26, 2016 8:41:36 PM PDT

Dear MiiMii, 

It is possible that the ringing in the ears - called tinnitus in medical jargon - was related to the malaria, but it could also be related to other things. Remind your father to discuss it with his physician. Kind regards,

-BrettMD

For educational activities related to the topic of malaria, please see The United States Center for Disease Control and Prevention website. They have a case series of Malaria in the USA. 

Malaria

• 6 posts
    July 28, 2016 12:42:58 PM PDT

Sorry,

I probably put you on the spot there. Thank you very much for all your responses, they are well appreciated.

Will do as advised.

• 1957 posts
    July 28, 2016 5:49:20 PM PDT

Dear M,

Thank you again for the question. I enjoy being put on the spot and helping if I can, but as you insightfully identified, the depth of this subject has reached the limits of my expertise. If you have any future questions I would be glad to help.

Best wishes to you and my thoughts are with your father - hoping he continues to recover.

Kind regards,
    -BrettMD